Tuesday, January 21, 2014

This Weather Calls for Chili

  A red stool just like this one sat in my grandmother's kitchen and often I sat on it.  She
thought I was just talking to her but I was watching and learning as we talked.

My grandparents owned a grocery store which had a meat market in it.  Often they used
a huge cooker--probably an early version of a crock pot; just much, much larger.  In the
meat market my grandfather would cook stews and chilis.  I don't remember them using
any mixes, just separate ingredients.  In my attempts at healthy living and cooking, I have
dropped the mixes and used ingredients from my kitchen.  Since it's cold right now, I am
putting my grandmother's chili recipe on here.


2 lbs ground beef  (or turkey)
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp minced onions
1 tsp ground cumin
5tsp chili powder
26 oz ranch style beans, or pintos, kidney beans. etc
15 oz can of tomato sauce

Place meat, salt, and pepper, garlic powder, and onions in a large pot and brown meat.
After meat is browned, drain and add cumin, chili powder, beans, and tomato sauce.  Turn
heat down and continue cooking and stirring so it won't stick.  Turn down to simmer to finish
cooking.  This should be enough for two meals for four people.  Endless possibilities:  chili dogs,
frito pie, chili over baked potatoes, cheese added to chili to make chili cheese dip--just about
anything!  Stay warm.

Debbie




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts...